Welcome to Year 11 Drama
Welcome to Senior Drama!
This will be an interesting and challenging year.
Hard work and commitment to the process and the group will bring success and great enjoyment in your own development as a confident and competent Drama student.
This course aims to:
- Develop your performance skills and build your confidence as a performer
- Explore the world of drama, theatre and performance, and extend your understanding of the role of drama and theatre in society
- Develop your ability to express your ideas and to create through drama
- Develop your ability to accept, build upon and be sensitive to the contributions of others in group situations
- Develop your drama literacy
- Give you the opportunity to watch, appreciate and evaluate a variety of performance
We will work on two broad themes this year:
- Our identity as New Zealanders and how drama and theatre reflects and/or challenges this
- The development and features of physical comedy with an emphasis on one particular form, Commedia dell ’Arte
We will read a well known NZ play, ‘The Pohutukawa Tree’, and use this to create new work, develop performance skills and examine the nature of NZ drama – this will contribute to your first assessment, and to later work.
Then we will explore what physical comedy is, how to use it and how physical comedy is used in the theatre and performance traditions of Commedia dell ‘Arte. This work will form the context for a further two assessments.
The class play will involve everyone in the class in a performance for an invited audience.
We will also visit the theatre during the year to see live drama. It is important for Drama students to visit the theatre and experience live theatre as much as possible. Try and go with your family and friends regularly.
Resubmission and Attendance
There is no real opportunity for resubmission as the programme is very full. It is important that you attend all assessments so that you do not let down the group. Assessments will not be rescheduled unless there is a very good reason and the rescheduling does not jeopardize the work of any of the group, nor stretch the patience of the teacher!
Live Theatre Performance
As a part of this course you are required to attend at least two live theatre performances as a member of the audience. The external exam requires that each student is able to discuss at least one performance they have attended. The Drama Department will provide you with several opportunities to view live shows through the year. It is your responsibility to meet the cost of the ticket and the transport. It is important for you to attend other shows on your own as well.
Stationery and Uniform
- You will need a series of exercise books or art books for your written work – one for each unit of work. We will discuss the written/visual requirements for each unit.
- For all practical drama classes, suitable clothing must be worn. This needs to give you freedom of movement and can include PE uniform, shorts, track pants. For all practical assessments you will need to wear plain black/white/grey clothes suitable for the particular assessment (unless you are in full costume). Organise this well in advance.
Enjoy your year and work hard!
Ms V Davidson : HOD Drama
Ms J Donald